Why We’re Here
We are AboutFace and we’re here for anyone and everyone living with a facial difference. That includes those affected directly or indirectly. And whether it’s been with you from birth or is an acquired difference, we know the circumstances you face will be unique. However our mission since day one has remained the same. AboutFace is here to provide you with support. To inspire you and give you the courage and confidence you need to make your day, every day, no different to anyone else’s. Because for us there should be no difference living with a facial difference.
We’re here for advice and support. We provide education and we’re a useful source of information. And we also see it as our role to generate as much public awareness and understanding of what living with a facial difference means to those affected.
That’s why if we had to sum up what AboutFace was all about in three words we’d say:
AboutFace ENCOURAGES – We believe knowing you are not alone is the first step in embracing the journey.
AboutFace EMPOWERS – We believe building on strength and character helps develop a sense of purpose.
AboutFace EDUCATES – We believe education is critical to nurturing understanding and acceptance.
AboutFace is a registered charitable organization with Revenue Canada – Registration No. 12676 1410 RR0001, which depends on individual donations, special events fundraising, foundation grants and corporate sponsorship. We do not receive any government funding.
They did it. You can too.
We believe a facial difference should make no difference. No difference to your hopes and dreams. No difference to trying new experiences. No difference to how far you may want to push yourself. That’s why we have a whole program of events that provide a refreshing break from the norm.
AboutFace Celebrates 25 Years
2010 was a year of celebration for AboutFace! For 25 years, we have aided individuals with a facial difference to experience personal enrichment and growth. Founded in 1985, AboutFace has since grown to be a widely respected organization serving affected individuals at every life stage. AboutFace is the only Canadian charitable organization that provides emotional, peer and social support, resources and educational programs to individuals with facial differences and their families. We seek to increase public understanding and acceptance of people living with facial differences through public awareness and education.
- AboutFace is incorporated as a charity with Revenue Canada
- Betty Bednar (Mrs. Elisabeth Ross) is first Executive Director of AboutFace
- First Corporate Sponsor – Cartier Wines (Vincor Canada)
- Hotelympiad – First Special Event with CHMS
- Hosted CBC radio interview to launch AboutFace
- Published First School Program Resource – We All Have Different Faces
- Access to Success – Second major event in support of AboutFace
- First Trillium Grant
- Opened First office – Edward Street Hired full time staff
- Opened our North American - Wide800 Toll Free Hotline
- Opened AboutFace USA, Pennsylvania
- AboutFace Office moved to Crowns Lane, Toronto
- Hosted First AboutFace Family Conference, Toronto
- Hosted First Annual Gala for AboutFace, Toronto
- Received Max Bell Foundation Grant - $100,000 for new school program
- Anna Pileggi became the Second Executive Director of AboutFace
- Launched Unwrapping the Package – New School Program
- Trained 37 volunteers from across North America on new program
- Hosted First Family Day with Sick Kids Hospital, Toronto
- Launched the AboutFace Web site
- AboutFace moved to Edward Street
- New Logo is incorporated for AboutFace
- Second Trillium Grant - $102,000 - Building Bridges in cooperation with the Women’s Health Centre, Women’s College Hospital
- First Bay Street Hoops – Basketball Fundraiser
- Paul Stanley becomes Celebrity Spokesperson for AboutFace
- Released Facing Differences School Program – independent unit
- Held First Annual Golf Classic
- Released Building Bridges Guide for Health Care Professionals and Facilitators Manual
- AboutFace USA moves to Chicago
- Hosted First Teen Camp, Ontario
- Published Jessie’s Blessing – storybook for kids about differences and acceptance
- Released the Jessie’s Blessing DVD
- Received a sponsorship from the Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario to create the Teacher’s Guide for Jessie’s Blessing
- Hosted First Wine in the Courtyard, Toronto
- AboutFace USA moves to Nevada
- AboutFace receives $100,000 donation from Shoppers Drug Mart
- Hosted First Camp Trailblazers in B.C.
- National Symposium on Bullying – Ontario and B.C.
- Released the educational version of Jessie’s Blessing – book and DVD at the New Teachers Conference, Oakville
- AboutFace Brazil opens
- Jessie’s Blessing French book is released
- Scotiabank and Genworth donate $10,000 to establish the AboutFace Scholarship Fund for Youth going to post-secondary education
- Making Faces book is released – picture book about the treatment journey of cleft lip & palate child
- Hosted First Global Conference on Facial Differences: Inspiration 2007
- AboutFace USA is dissolved
- AboutFace awards First Student Scholarship
- Hosted two new camps – Newfoundland and Nova Scotia
- First Leap of Faith – Skydiving event
- Released Facing It Together – book and DVD for new parents
- Hosted new camp in Manitoba – Now five camps across Canada
- Received the Special Friend of Canadian Dentistry Award – CDA
- Third Trillium Grant – automating volunteer development and training
Latest News & My Story
It’s always been our aim to make AboutFace feel like a community. Somewhere to share your trials and tribulations as well as celebrate good news.
It really is your platform to tell us what’s on your mind and in the process, help the AboutFace community by providing people with real, first person insights into the challenges you might have faced.
That’s why we are proud to share with you stories from some of our most inspiring members in the “My story” section. And provide you with news and updates on all things AboutFace is making happen out there right now.
10 Ways to Prepare Your Child for Surgery
Parents often wonder how they can prepare their child for surgery. Surgery day can often be an emotional and stressful time, but there are many helpfu...READ MORE >
Camp Trailblazers Turns 15!!
This year, we are excited to be celebrating the 15th anniversary of Camp Trailblazers. We started out small in 2003 with just a Teen Retreat weekend i...READ MORE >
We Have Come So Far
It all started in 2003—the AboutFace constituency advisory committee and staff had just reviewed the most recent membership survey. After going over...READ MORE >